William Doxford & Sons
William Doxford founded the company in 1840. From 1870 it was based in Pallion, Sunderland, on the River Wear in Northeast England. The Company was managed by William Doxford's four sons following his death in 1882. It was acquired by Northumberland Shipbuilding Company in 1918.
In the 1970s a new all-weather Pallion yard was built which could build two ships of up to 30,000 tons deadweight side-by-side. The steel came in at one end, and the completed ship left from the other with engines installed and sometimes with the machinery running.
Court Line collapsed in 1974 and the company was nationalised. It was privatised in 1986 when it was merged with Austin & Pickersgill to form North East Shipbuilders. However, within two years of the merger the Doxford Pallion yard was closed down. Sunderland Wall climbing centre now occupies a section of the building.
- Crockett, Margaret; Foster, Janet (October 2005). Report on the Access to Shipbuilding Collections in North East England (ARK) Project (PDF). The Archive – Skills Consultancy.
- "Northumberland Shipbuilding Company". Grace's Guide. Retrieved 30 May 2015.
- Wilson, Bill (2 September 1992). "Obituary: James Venus". The Independent.
- "Last shipyard". BBC Online. 28 November 2008.
- Doxford Engine Friends Association
- William Doxford and Sons page on Ships Nostalgia website. Membership (free) is required.
- A.Verheijden. "The Doxford: Opposed-piston Oil Engine".