Comité International Radio-Maritime
CIRM was founded in Spain in 1928 by a coalition of eight companies involved in the maritime radio service. The organisation was reconstituted in Belgium in 1947 and later moved to London, where it is currently located close to the International Maritime Organization.
CIRM promotes the application of electronic technology to the shipping industry. The organisation provides technical and industrial advice to the international maritime regulatory organisations.
In accordance with ITU Recommendation ITU-R M.585-6, CIRM is responsible for issuing the Manufacturer ID component of the Numerical Identifier for AIS-SART, Man Overboard, and EPIRB-AIS devices.
CIRM administers the Code of Business Practice for Marine Accounting Authorities, within the framework of ITU Recommendation D.90. This Code identifies operational requirements for Accounting Authorities in maritime radio and satellite communications.
Relationships with other organisations
- Sector Member of the International Telecommunications Union (ITU-R and ITU-T) 
- Liaison Member of the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 
- Liaison Member of the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) 
- Observer of the International Hydrographic Organization (IHO) 
- Observer of the International Association of Lighthouse Authorities (IALA)
- Observer of the International Chamber of Shipping (ICS) 
- Observer of the US Radiotechnical Commission for Maritime (RTCM) 
Memorandums Of Understanding with IMPA - International Maritime Pilots Association, IMSO - International Mobile Satellite Organization, IALA - International Association of Lighthouse Authorities
- "Non-governmental organisations". Textbook of Maritime Medicine. Retrieved 17 June 2014.
- "CIRM". MarineTalk. Retrieved 17 June 2014.
- "About CIRM". CIRM website. Retrieved 17 June 2014.
- "Non-Governmental international Organizations which have been granted consultative status with IMO". International Maritime Organisation. Retrieved 5 January 2014.
- "IMO Sub-Committee takes action on ECDIS standards revision". "Intermaritime Certification Services (ICS Class)". 2014-07-09.
- "Australia Maritime Safety Authority - Maritime Mobile Service Identifier overview". AMSA. Retrieved 2014-07-17.
- "Milltech Marine - About MMSI". Milltech Marine. Retrieved 2014-07-17.
- "CIRM Code of Business Practice for Marine Accounting Authorities" (PDF). CIRM.
- "Global Directory - Sector Members". ITU. Retrieved 10 July 2014.
- "Organisations in liaison". ISO. Retrieved 17 July 2014.
- "Organizations with TC/SC liaisons". IEC. Retrieved 11 July 2014.
- "CIRM activities affecting HSSC" (PDF). "IHO". Retrieved 21 June 2014.
- "The International Chamber of Shipping: Representing the Global Shipping Industry" (PDF). About ICS. ICS. 2013. p. 4. Retrieved 17 July 2014.
- "Overview". RTCM. Retrieved 21 June 2014.