Blackstone & Co
|File:Blackstones Company Broad Street Stamford.jpg
Blackstones original company building Broad Street, Stamford
|Industry||Agricultural engineering, diesel engines|
|Fate||Sold to MAN SE|
|Founded||January 29, 1889|
|Headquarters||Rutland Works, Stamford, Lincolnshire|
In 1896 they built lamp start oil engines. By 1912 they had developed a new internal combustion engine that ran on vaporising oil and was fired by a spark. It did not need a hot bulb like most engines of the time. By 1919 they had mounted a 25 hp 3 cylinder version in a crawler tractor, which they built till 1925.
By 1929 they were building diesel engines for the Agricultural & General Engineers (AGE) group. Richard Garrett & Sons assembled some of these tractors. They were similar to an International 15/30. AGE collapsed in 1932.
Mirrlees Blackstone were bought by MAN Diesel, along with the diesel businesses of the collapsed GEC, although little remains. The Stockport factory has been partly demolished and replaced with a new office and warehouse facility which still serves the aftermarket for spares and servicing of Lister Blackstone engines under the MAN Diesel & Turbo tagline. The Blackstone name lives on with the Blackstones F.C..
- Marine diesel engines
- Shells during First World War
- Examples of Blackstone engines can be seen at the Anson Engine Museum near Manchester.
- An engine could be seen at the former Stamford Museum in Stamford, Lincolnshire. The museum also held an archive relating to the company.
- BBC History of the World in 100 objects included a Blackstone Oil Engine 
- Classic Tractors of the World, by Nick Baldwin ISBN 978-0-7537-1446-1
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Blackstone & Co.|